Tongue tie


My baby will not latch. Why won't my baby latch? Breast feeding is supposed to be the most natural normal thing in the whole world but my baby won't do it. She will find the nipple but will she suck?! Surely I must be doing something wrong.

Turns out my baby was tongue tied so badly that she couldn't latch on. Tongue tie (as I have now read) only effect 11% of newborns, this is strange as I know lots of babies who have tongue tie. If you don't know what tongue tie it is where the skin that attaches your tongue to the bottom of the mouth does not allow freedom of movement. Our poor bean couldn't even cry properly. 

We were put on the list to get it snipped which takes about 30 seconds but we would have to wait 4 weeks. 4 weeks of having my baby not feed properly. How was this fair? I wanted to breast feed so badly so I continued this struggle but that is for another blog post. 

4 weeks passed and the day came for her to get her tongue snipped I was so scared they were going to hurt my poor baby! She was taken into a room and before I had even had the chance to pour myself some water she was back in the room. She was back in the room didn't cry or anything! Then I fed her and it was a dream. A 30 second operation was all it took to have my baby actually feed properly. 

But why did it have to wait 4 weeks?

5 comments:

  1. Oh lovely! Sounds awful but glad it's sorted now! Just popping over to say hi and hope you enjoy blogging lots! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and commenting 😊 Xxx

      Delete
  2. 6 week wait at Alder Hey! outrageous. I can totally see why so many people go private.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awful isn't it?! It's made such a difference her having it done it's a shame they don't have more people trained to do it. xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness, I didn't even know that was a thing! So glad your little one was able to feed properly after that.
    Thanks so much for being our Newbie in #PoCoLo hun, I hope you really enjoyed it. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Guest blogs/features

The butterfly mother guest post- Why breast isn't always best

DISCLAIMER